The Lewis Pearsall Exchange Loft has been a place where community members can connect to each other, connect to the internet, and connect to the Ralph Thornton Community Centre. The purpose of the Exchange Loft has always been to provide the broader community with free access to computers and the internet while offering a welcoming, friendly, and helpful environment to community members.
The services of the Exchange loft have been greatly missed by the community during the time when the Centre has been closed, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While the Community Centre is permitted to be open and offer services to the public, modifications to the services and procedures are required to ensure the health and safety of visitors to the Centre and the staff.
The number of computers available for use will be reduced to four, to allow for adequate physical distancing, volunteers will not be available to assist Exchange Loft visitors, and the process to access to services will be altered to limit capacity.
Free Public Access Computers
Hours for the Exchange Loft have expanded. Computers are now available from 9:30 am to 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 9:30 am to 4:30 pm on Saturdays. Washrooms can be accessed on the 3rd floor and basement. Access to the 2nd floor is restricted to our After School Program.
The Exchange Loft will be closed for 30 minutes at 12:00 pm and again at 5:00 pm, to allow for a thorough cleaning.
Time limits are no longer in effect except when there is a waitlist for the computers. At that point the person who has been at a computer the longest will be asked to finish up and allow the next person to use the computer.
The Exchange Loft offers services that do not involve the computers. These uses include the fax service, document scanning, photocopying, and public telephone. These uses do not require reservations in advance and may be accessed on a first-come-first-served basis.
Please approach Reception staff and let them know what is required. Always provide physical distancing when interacting with staff.
- Paper and pen will be available for writing out instructions.
- Printing (i.e., making copies using an electronic file, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) can only be arranged through reserving use of the computers in the Exchange Loft. Staff will not print documents provided electronically.
- The visitor wishing to use the public phone will be permitted entry if there is no one else using the phone.
- The phone will be cleaned with sanitizing wipes after each use.
- These services are only available during the Exchange Loft’s operating hours and not during the scheduled cleaning periods.